Monday, November 10, 2008

Doing your own thing.

The last few days I've had a great opportunity to train a student that attends UT who has been doing Crossfit on his own for the last several months. I know that a whole lot of people are doing this now more and more. I believe this is a great thing and is in a very large sense, one of our main objectives. We want to see as many individuals stepping out of the way of the big mirrors and the silly cadio/ calorie burning classes at the big Globo Gyms and start doing efficient functional exercise in there homes, at parks or neighborhood schools.
Everything about what we do is to enhance the quality of peoples lives through better mobility.

With that in mind, there is a major component of Functional exercises that is a must when a person is performing the movement that is called technique. Crossfit.com is attracting a whole lot of attention from a whole lot of arenas especially in the fitness industry. Unfortunately some of this attention is negative because of the thought that our workouts are unsafe.

I must admit, when people who are not well taught in our training styles and understand the importance of our safety first approach, will likely risk injury through inefficient technique.

The young cat I have been working with had some serious red flags with some of these movements, especially as he attempted heavier loads. Without my guidance he could have been up shit creek by over challenging himself to do something he is not yet ready for. Luckily he knew this possibility and decided to come in for the training to get him in the right track to success.

My job is not to run around the gym and call everybody a pansy for not working fast enough or lift heavier weight. When they need that encouragement I will but I will always prefer to see sound quality training that will support quicker results.

If anybody in This city is Crossfitting on your own, I commend you! I do however you coming in to our gym to learn our elements of training to get you on a better path to the results you seek. Our intro Crossfit program is something I believe is a give away to anybody seeking better fitness. We charge a Tenth of the cost of a Crossfit Cert and deliver as good of the instruction that you would receive at one.

All I know is that if you do this stuff... Make sure you understand it!

No comments: