Monday, May 21, 2007

Why we Squat?

By nature, the way we sit is in the squat position. This day in age however we rely on chairs, sofas, benches, etc. when we sit. Because of this many peoples bodies are becoming more and more decreped simply because people no longer rely on their own body to keep themselves strong. Squating is absolutely vital so that we may keep our hips, knees and back sound and functional as we move into our later years. This movement is in all ways necesary, natural and functional and without question the most important thing we can do for ourselves and our future mobility.
I myself have experienced amazing rehabilitation in my knees and lower back by repetively doing more body weight squats in the last 18 months. 3 knee surgeries with very little rehab in between put me in jeopardy of not being able to workout my lower body for the rest of my life. I couldn't except that possibility so I slowly recouped my way into lower body recovery by using the squat to strengthen the muscles around my knee without pounding too much on the joint. Now i'm able to do more than i've done with my lower body since I first injured myself 8 years ago.
I do strongly suggest every individual do more squats, but at the same time recognize the technique that will make the movement work to your benefit. Bad form could cause more damage that good.

Nicole on "Squat Therapy"
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/SquatTherapy.wmv

Posted by Picasa

No comments: