Friday, September 30, 2011

Ready To Work!

Kelly has been a fun-to-have client. In her first few months being a client, I wasn't sure of her commitment to the CrossFit Central program. Several times over, all I can remember was feeling like she stranded me by not showing up to class. I was left with no call, no email, no word about where she was and why she missed!

This is now a thing of the past! Kelly now comes in high-spirited and with a ready-to-work attitude! It is rare if she doesn't show up for class or personal training with me and Crystal McReynolds 5 times a week. She really reminds me of me! She is laid back and her only plan is to go in and give her best. Tell her something needs to be fixed and she responds. I have really been watching her during the past 3 to 4 months and have been amazed by her gains in strength and cardio!

Kelly has proved her work ethic to be nothing short of outstanding! She has proven herself to be somebody who represents the definition of a true CrossFitter!

Kelly's Story

I started CrossFitting by joining Coach Big Mike’s class a little over a year ago. A couple of friends of mine told me about CrossFitting and we all started together. They are morning people and I am not – or should I say, was not. They encouraged me to join the 5:30am class and, reflecting back, I am glad they did. Not only did I get blessed by getting Coach Big Mike but also by working out with some amazing, supportive, encouraging individuals. Our early bird morning crew rocks! Working out that early gives you a mental advantage for what the day has in store for you. You know that you successfully completed a challenge and/or you PR'ed the workout. There is nothing you can’t set your mind to and complete.

Coach Big Mike became my Coach because of his time slot availability and because the days that he coaches worked in my favor. That being said, while completing Elements, he was highly spoken about for his reputation as a person, for his ability as CF athlete, and as a coach. I also got to see him in action coaching and looked forward to having him my coach. I have to say his reputation precedes him.


Since training with Coach Big Mike, I am totally a stronger person physically, mentally, and spiritually. Physically, I can lift more, complete pull-ups and handstand push-ups, do double-unders, all of which I couldn’t do before CrossFit. I was always an athlete growing up playing sports, and I maintained my physical ability and shape by going to the gym, biking, hiking, etc. But since CrossFit, I am at an all-new level physically. Mentally, I now have the mindset that I can do and complete anything without giving up once I set my mind to it since I am a CrossFitter and CrossFitters get it done, or at least put their maximum efforts in trying. I don’t say “I can’t” anymore; instead I say “Let’s do this!” Spiritually, I think I am stronger as well. I know I thank the Lord more often now, especially after completing some of the WODs we do and I am still alive – breathing exceptionally hard, but still alive and breathing! Since joining CrossFit, I have noticed I have more confidence in myself. I have a better perspective on life and the tasks set forth for me outside the gym.


What keeps me motivated in CrossFit is seeing the improvements I have made over the last months/year, and I want to continue to improve. This sport allows you to continue to improve if you put the effort in. Additionally, it is also the CrossFit community that keeps me motivatived. Such an amazing and diverse community that inspires you, motivates you, and supports you, from the coaches to CrossFitter athletes working next to you, or seeing them and cheering them on in a challenge or even the class next to yours. Go MWF 5:30am Ladies!

When joining CrossFit I was 44 years old, in semi-descent shape and thought I was eating pretty healthy until I learned about Paleo and Zone. What a difference changing to this new lifestyle of eating has made on me. Don’t get me wrong, I am not one of those 80-100%-ers yet, as I have my weaknesses that I am working on – hopefully one day. But, I have to say, when doing the challenges and committing to at least 80% Paleo, I felt amazing and performed accordingly. Looks like I have a new challenge in front of me.

My goals inside and outside the gym for CrossFitting are to continue to improve on my pull-ups, handstand push-ups, double-unders, pistols, handstand walk, and I want to be able to complete a muscle up by year end. I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me.

I did the Lean Turkey Challenge last fall and the I Am CrossFit EPOC Challenge this spring. The challenges are a lot of fun, you get to meet other great CrossFitters in the community, and they hold you accountable not only to yourself but to your coaches and teammates. While doing the I Am CrossFit EPOC Challenge, I injured myself – not seriously, but had a daily reminder in my right side gluteus maximus for a while. One would think that’s not good, but it gave me a new motivation and appreciation for learning proper technique and form and for stepping up my game by practicing the skills on my own. I also got additional personal training to learn proper form and technique since this will help prevent injuries or at least reduce them and make you a better athlete.

I will continue to do the CrossFit challenges because they are a lot of fun and you get to meet incredible people. But right now, I am going to focus on improving my technique and form by taking on my own personal challenge.

No comments: