Friday, September 14, 2007

Complex


I've noticed several times that when people are introduced to Olympic style weightlifting, they become concerned that they cannot get the hang of it. I can't stress enough that only through practice that accuracy, coordination, balance and agility can be maintained. Uncomfortable movements are directly tied to the fact that your body is simply not used to the movement itself. It isn't that you physically cannot perform the movement, but that you need to first learn it, then practice it over and over again. Eventually what will happen is the feeling will become more natural. I especially love the times when I'm working with somebody who will say, "I used to do this when I was a kid! Why can't I do it now." Your body was created to be able to move specifically the way in which Crossfitters train. Most of the time, we are merely reteaching our bodies how to do things that they have been capable of since we were children. Don't ever say you can't. Just keep trying until you can!

No comments: